AUDIO BOOKS - AS REVIEWED BY A SIMPLE TRUCK DRIVER - PLUS A DIARY OF MY TRAVELS/JOB

Thursday, February 5, 2009

HOW DRIVERS OPERATE

Today is Thursday, to bring this up to date I delivered my load to Shelbyville, Tn. Wednesday at 2:30 pm and was given another load. My next load picked up at 7:00 pm and delivered at 8:am Thursday.
Now to understand my situation, you need to know how the trucking industry works.

!. Drivers are given a set of rules they must follow( these are federal) very basically they are:
a. drivers can only work 14 hours without taking a 10 hour break
b. drivers can only drive 11 hours without taking a 10 hour break
c. drivers must maintain a written log showing their daily status both on and off duty
d. logs must show every change of duty status in excess of 15 minutes

2. Almost all drivers are paid by the mile; I make 42 cents per mile

Now my Wednesday work day started at 10:00 am -- plus 14 hours it will end at 12 midnight
(some factors can change this but as I said it is very basic)
I drove to my destination and unloaded at 2:30 pm then drove 15 minutes to get trailer washed
out and reload. I was not reloaded until 8:00 pm I still had 4 hours to drive before my 14 ran out.
Driving time to my destination was 7 hours----3 hours short
At midnight I sent a message (on quail com) to my night time dispatcher and informed him I was stopping to take a 10 hour break. (which means the load will not be delivered on time)

YES I SHOULD HAVE TOLD MY DISPATCHER WHEN I WAS PUT ON THIS LOAD THAT I COULD NOT MAKE IT ON TIME

However; I did not. Trucking company's have what they call planners--their job is to plan the use ofall assets (drivers and trucks) to get the most out of them. Can you see a lack of planning here?
Drivers are mostly responsible to regulate themselves as far as hours worked being logged properly.
When the freight gets slow and driver pay (remember paid by the mile) gets very low well!!!!!!!!
I was tired the roads were a little icy I obeyed the law, I got in trouble with my company.
You see truck drivers are put in a catch "22" situation---the need for income versus the DOT rules.
And planners and dispatchers know this as well. However; when a driver is caught in violation of DOT rules the driver is responsible to pay the penalty both in money$$$ and loss of time from work.
The company can also be fined so they do not get off scott free either.
Most planners and dispatchers don't realize we cannot put sleep in the bank and draw it out when we need it. If you look back at other entries you can see a drivers hours are not 9 to 5 but whatever is required to get the job done while staying with in DOT rules

No comments:

Post a Comment